Agriturismo Ca' Lealtà

Agriturismo Caorle, sea of Caorle and Venice

BOOK ONLINE - OFFERT

PORTOGRUARO AND CONCORDIA

PORTOGRUARO
City of the Porticoes

Enveloped in Venetian charm, Portogruaro is a centre of art lying inland on the Adriatic which oozes with history and elegance, known also as the ‘City of the Porticoes’.

Like most places and the beauty of the Venetian area, Portogruaro is a treasure to be discovered. The town is crossed by the river Lemene and offers interesting views at every corner that show similarities with the nearby Venice.
The medieval structure of the city center and its old buildings has remained unchanged while the thirteenth-century wall and numerous building with Italian Gothic and Renaissance style are fascinating examples of the various historical moment that have made their mark on the city.

This medieval and renaissance town, crossed by the River Lemene, offers at every angle very interesting views. The first document , showing the existance of Portogruaro as a town, relate to the 1140. Portogruaro soon became important: on the left side of the river the commerce of the town began and on the right side the patriarchal and episcopal castle.
The fortune of the town of Lemene continued as long as the customs of Portogruaro was on the fixed route for goods to Germany. It was a time of growth and wealth for the inhabitants who built the palaces that everybody can still admire in the historical centre. The town emblem is the gothic town hall , brick faced, of 1265. The side wings, in perfect harmony with the central part, were added in 1512.
To the right of the town hall a short slope leads to one of the prettiest angles of the town which houses the fish market and the mills.
The National Archeological museum of Portogruaro holds the finds of the old roman colony of Julia Concordia (today Concordia Sagittaria).

CONCORDIA SAGITTARIA
Archaeological city

An important Paleovenetian center, located at the intersection of Via Annia and Via Postumia. It was called Julia Concordia by the Romans who in 42 BC used it as a military colony.
Concordia Sagittaria also has traces of the ancient Roman city; pieces of the wall and traces of large urban structures such as the forum, the theater, the Roman baths and part of a three-arched bridge over which the Via Annia passed.

The exodus of Venetians caused by barbarian invasions, lead inhabitants to transfer from Caorle to this settlement. Concordia was downgraded to a mere stronghold gaining the nickname of “Sagittarius” because of the factory of arrows called sagittae. Only around the eleventh century the Venetian town once again became a stronghold and used as a dependent diocese by the Patriarch of Aquileia.
The remains of the early Christian complex are the oldest evidence of Christian faith in the Veneto region. Concordia provides a truly extraordinary scene of history and art coming from the IV and XI centuries: fenced sepulchral, the Apsotolorum Basilica, enriched with mosaics, the Trichora Martyrum, a trilobite building for the conservation of the relics of saints, the Baptistery which is splendidly decorated with frescoes.
The Baptistery is a pearl of Romanesque-byzantine art. The construction was promoted by Bishop Regimpoto, in office between 1089 and 1105.

This journey into the past can not miss a visit to the Civic Archaeological Museum with its Roman and early Christian findings, and materials found during excavations are also on display at the National Concordense Museum of Portogruaro.